unix and email viruses

Hello all,

I think I don't need to be worried but I figured I should check.

I only run 'nix (debian, OpenBSD), and I'm on dialup.  I note that some
people run virus scanners on their email (not just as anti-spam) and
wonder if I need to worry.  I don't get enough spam (other than what
comes from this list occasionally) to warrent doing anything about spam.

I debian or other 'nix suceptible in any way to anything anybody can put
in an email?  I'm guessing that if someone comes up with something that
can break e.g. mutt that mutt will be fixed around the same time as a
virus scanner would be updated.

Thoughts?

Doug.