Re: [OT] Goodbye Debian

On 27/02/2008, Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us> wrote:
>  > Of course I read Dilbert. And I am full aware of the corporate IT
>  > environment. But I'm still 30-young and think that I can change the
>  > world by trying. I'm so naive that I encourage others to do the same.
>  > I know that I'm doomed to the same fate as Winston Smith.
>
> I hope you can retain your youthful optimism before the system grinds
>  you up and leaves you cynical, embittered and looking for easier
>  battles to fight.  At work I've given up and use whatever schlop they
>  throw on their machines.  After work I come home to my nice Debian
>  machines that are configured to my preferences.

I'm stubborn. But I hope that you are right and I will work to keep
making the changes. Lenin had a good quote for this, but I can't
remember or find it at the moment.

>  > My attitude has gotten my university and my local green club to send
>  > documents in PDF instead of Word, and I write to sites that do not
>  > display properly in Firefox. I write to software houses (Adobe)
>  > requesting they port to Linux, and I write to hardware vendors (ATI)
>  > demanding Linux support. Every week. Am I making a difference? Maybe.
>  > If one out of one hundred OOo || Firefox || Linux users would stand up
>  > and let themselves be known, we'd be in a much better position. I'm
>  > setting an example.
>

> Congrats on your success.  I suspect you're not in the USA so you'll
>  likely find people more accepting of and willing to try Free Software.
>  Here things that are offered for free (gratis) are often considered
>  shoddy or sub-standard.  Many people live by the axiom "you get what
>  you pay for" and therefore believe that a few hundred dollars for an
>  office suite is money well spent.  Someone claiming to offer an office
>  suite at no cost is to be considered with caution as they must have
>  some other agenda.  This kind of thinking permeates corporate IT as
>  well as individuals and is why MS has such a hold on the IT market
>  here.  Another big reason is that people are simply reluctant to step
>  out of their comfort zone and since they know MS they stick with it,
>  warts and all.

Same problems here. The "you get what you pay for" is more often than
not "you get what you can pirate" but that just makes the deal
sweeter. What I find amazing is that people are so used to the faults
of MS that they have trained themselves to think the faults are
computer faults. The don't miss the MS faults when switching to Linux,
but jump at any Linux fault. It's only after using Linux for a month
and then sitting at a Windows computer do people realize just how bad
Windows is.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il