Re: [OT] Goodbye Debian

* Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> [2008 Feb 26 08:00 -0600]:

> Of course I read Dilbert. And I am full aware of the corporate IT
> environment. But I'm still 30-young and think that I can change the
> world by trying. I'm so naive that I encourage others to do the same.
> I know that I'm doomed to the same fate as Winston Smith.

I hope you can retain your youthful optimism before the system grinds
you up and leaves you cynical, embittered and looking for easier
battles to fight.  At work I've given up and use whatever schlop they
throw on their machines.  After work I come home to my nice Debian
machines that are configured to my preferences.

> My attitude has gotten my university and my local green club to send
> documents in PDF instead of Word, and I write to sites that do not
> display properly in Firefox. I write to software houses (Adobe)
> requesting they port to Linux, and I write to hardware vendors (ATI)
> demanding Linux support. Every week. Am I making a difference? Maybe.
> If one out of one hundred OOo || Firefox || Linux users would stand up
> and let themselves be known, we'd be in a much better position. I'm
> setting an example.

Congrats on your success.  I suspect you're not in the USA so you'll
likely find people more accepting of and willing to try Free Software.
Here things that are offered for free (gratis) are often considered
shoddy or sub-standard.  Many people live by the axiom "you get what
you pay for" and therefore believe that a few hundred dollars for an
office suite is money well spent.  Someone claiming to offer an office
suite at no cost is to be considered with caution as they must have
some other agenda.  This kind of thinking permeates corporate IT as
well as individuals and is why MS has such a hold on the IT market
here.  Another big reason is that people are simply reluctant to step
out of their comfort zone and since they know MS they stick with it,
warts and all.

- Nate >>