Re: What am I missing without mutt?

Celejar:
> On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 11:33:55 -0800
> Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
>
>> So for me, the easy fast ssh access to mail is the #1 thing about
>> mutt.
>
> Can't one just tunnel any MUA through ssh, with something like 'ssh -L
> 110:remote_host:110'?

Huh? When using that, you'd still have to run a local mail client and a
POP server on the remote side. With mutt, you just use OpenSSH (or
PuTTY when using Windows) and that's it. You have to carry your key
around when allowing only key authentication, though.

But of course you are right in that you can tunnel almost everything
over SSH. Getting graphical mail clients over VNC using X11-forwarding
is quite easy to do, too. SSH makes a really great firewall
circumvention tool. Especially, but not only,  if it's your own. :)

J.
--
I am getting worse rather than better.
[Agree]   [Disagree]