Re: Switching from ipw3945 to iwl3945 driver]

Quoth Andrew Sackville-West:
> On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 10:13:56PM +0000, Jurij Smakov wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've only tested this procedure myself, so feel free to contribute
> > additional information to the wiki page, and reply to this thread if
> > you encounter any problems (cc me in this case, as I'm not on d-u).
>
> 2) some of the iwconfig settings (particularly "mode" and maybe
> others) require the interface to be *down* before you can set them. So
> in my case where I scan for available access points and then set mode
> and ssid etc accordingly I have to up the interface, scan, down the
> interface, set some stuff, up the interface again to set more stuff
> and then pass it back to ifup to let it finish configuring the
> interface. It's kind of a pain, but it seems to work.

Interesting. Maybe this is part of the issue that stands between me and
wpa_supplicant being able to connect to WEP - it can't for now and that's
extremely annoying.

> 4) it appears that WEP doesn't work for ad-hoc networks :(

Well, as I've said, not only there, but wpa_supplicant seems to have problems,
too.

Good thing is: WPA at least Works for Me. But there are some caveats I could
throw in as well:

* Once you've brought up wpa_supplicant on your wireless interface, the driver
  does not know how to go back. If you kill wpa_supplicant (like when you
  suspend and go somewhere else and want to connect to another WEP AP) -
  congratulations, your driver is now officially hosed. You will have to:

  rmmod iwl3945 mac80211 cfg80211 arc4 ecb firmware_class && modprobe iwl3945

  After this step succeeds, everything seems to be fine again, HOWEVER:

* Sometimes this will go wrong. Terribly wrong. Modprobe and pdflush go hand in
  hand right into the abyss, coming back as CPU-eating undead and
  unkillable zomies. Yay. Only thing that really helps is hard reset, as working
  on a 100%-devoured CPU is no fun and my kill-9-voodoo doesn't work on neither
  of the offenders.

As an aside, I'm not using the Debian stock kernel, but a recently compiled
vanilla. So I hope it's not me who's causing the trouble here, though I doubt
it.

Aleks