Re: Ext4dev vs. Ext4

On 12/30/08 19:36, Ken Teague wrote:
Slim Joe wrote:
Besides the name, what's the difference between ext4dev and ext4?

I'm curious because I'm planning to format a 1TB disk as ext4. It
appears that the e2fs tools already have support for ext4 (with and
without -"dev"). The problem is the latest Debian Linux image
(2.6.26.x) has support only for ext4dev.

So the only way I can use an ext4 filesystem right now is to format
the hard disk as ext4dev and mount it as ext4dev. Will a subsequent
kernel upgrade with support for plain ext4 allow me to mount the
ext4dev-formatted disk as ext4?

It's to my understanding that ext4 stable was released with Linux kernel
2.6.28.  I think it was still in development in 2.6.26.  I would suspect
that the ext4dev stuff is part of Linux kernels prior to 2.6.28.

Exactly. I'd wait to use ext4 until .29, because lots of bugs will be found in the .28 cycle.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

I like my women like I like my coffee - purchased at above-market
rates from eco-friendly organic farming cooperatives in Latin America.