Re: Partioning Vista equipped laptop.

John Culleton wrote:
> I want to install Linux permanently on this box, which requres
> repartitioning. Currently there are two partitions, one for Vista and
> one for backup of Vista. I need suggestions for partitioning software
> that will allow me to reduce the size of the Vista partition to make
> room for a Debian partition. Suggestions on preparing the Vista
> partion prior to reduction in size are also welcome. Other than one
> or two emails and Firefox I have added no files to the system.

Hi John,

Vista's disk management allows you to shrink or grow a partition while
the system is running.  I've done it on my laptop to shrink its
partition and on my desktop to grow its partition.

That said, here are the mundane instructions on how to do it (when I
mention "WinKey", I'm talking about the Windows logo key):

1. Open the RUN dialog window (winkey+r)
2. Input compmgmt.msc and press the ENTER key
3. Under Computer Management (on the left side), expand the Storage tree
and select Disk Management
4. On the right side of the window, you'll see a graphical
representation of your disk partitions.  Click on the partition you wish
to shrink with your secondary mouse button and select Shrink Volume...

... the rest is self-explanatory.  Good luck.

- Ken