Re: udev causing data loss?

On Tuesday 2008 December 30 11:40:55 Barclay, Daniel wrote:
> ghe wrote:
> Isn't the UUID always of part of the file system?

Not on LVM logical volumes, for example.  The 'lvcreate' command generates a
UUID and writes it to the volume group metadata extent (along with other
information about the new logical volume).

> Partitioning can't write the UUID.

It could, assuming there is space in the partition table for it.  I'm pretty
sure GPT provides this.  The DOS partition table format may not, but I've
fairly sure it could be compatibly extended to do so.

Looking at my /dev/disk/by-uuid directory, it does appear to be populated with
UUIDs from the filesystems, not from the LVs or partitions.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net                     ((_/)o o(\_))