NIS tuning

Hello All,

We are using NIS for our university's mechanical/computer/civil
engineering lab. We have near 4000 clients and 1 NIS server. We have 4
global NIS servers, which is used thru out the university, but I
replicate 1 NIS server nightly to be used for the 4000 clients.
Obviously, we will get a lot of calls to the NIS server, and
occasionally it crashes --rpc failure yp operation message -- and our
authentication breaks. I was wondering if there is a way optimize
ypserv to serve this more clients. Or is it possible to setup multiple
NIS servers for a client, similar to multiple DNS servers in
/etc/resolv.conf

TIA