Re: Fonts messed after using old xorg.conf. Clear cache? How?

A. F. Cano wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm now fine tuning a brand new Lenny install on a clean disk.  It
> came up great out of the original installation with the non-accelerated
> nvidia driver: it just worked with the WUXGA (1920 X 1200) display.
> In previous releases the config files (XFree and xorg) required tweaking.
> I then installed all the fonts I could find with aptitude.  No problems
> with that either.
>
> Then I installed the binary nvidia driver (legacy96xx) which is the
> suitable one for the Go 4200 chip.  I had been running the binary
> driver on Etch and even earlier and the xorg.conf file had some manual
> tweaks in it.  A diff with the original xorg.conf showed almost no
> difference, so I just copied the old xorg.conf (after backing up the
> debian installed one of course).  BIG MISTAKE!  I had overlooked some
> old font paths in the customized xorg.conf that messed up all the fonts
> on the display.  Everything is way too big now, including the password
> field in kdm (I use KDE), everything displayed in the status bar is too
> big, the font in the konsoles is way too big.
>
> Of course, the first thing I did was to comment all the font lines out
> of the xorg.conf, but that didn't do a thing, even after turning the
> machine off and rebooting.
>
> How can I get the original fonts back?  I didn't find an obvious command
> to clear the font cache and a google search turned up lots of pages on
> how to install and configure fonts, but no answer to this problem.
>
> Help!  Trying to get rid of too-big fonts...
>
> Thanks.
>
> A.

# xset fp rehash

"Causes the server to reread the font databases in the current font
path. Usually used only when adding new fonts to a font directory after
running mkfontdir to recreate the font database."

http://tinyurl.com/9krfeb

best of luck.