Re: pbuilder trouble -- bingo!

Hi,

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 07:26:38PM +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> >> Running (c)debootstrap alone gives no problems so I don't know where
> >> to start diagnosing my problem.
> >
> > You are creating very special setting.  I do not even know if you have
> > /home/wena/live/ directory or your mirror site at http://localhost/sid
> > works or not...  I do not know permision of all these either.
>
> /home/wena/live exists and that mirror pretty well and was created
> using reprepro.

When you have problem, do not assume thigs are in good shape.  Are you
sure to be "mirror pretty well"?   reprepro being very new and
experimental per its manpage.  I do not know it is good choice.
(Program should be fine but it may not document required options for
novice users.)

> I'm on Sid.

OK

> > My first suggestion is to put system back to default.
>
> I stripped pbuilderrc to:
> MIRRORSITE=http://localhost/sid
> DEBOOTSTRAP=debootstrap
>
> [note that cdebootstrap won't work since I don't have Release.gpg and
> I don't know how to parse --allow-authenticated to it through
> pbuilder]
>
> ...and am still getting the error above

Bingo! ... you have broken mirror for current sid repo.  Having
Release.gpg is needed for current secure APT to function.  reprepro can
support signiture per its package description.

  http://wiki.debian.org/SecureApt
  http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch03.en.html#toplevelreleasefeandauthenticity

> What's interesting is that both "debootstrap" and "cdebootstrap
> --allow-unauthenticated" work pretty well.

Of course, you are disabling secure apt feature which uses Release.gpg.

If you are thinking about reducing bandwidth usage by the local mirror,
I think http proxy is better approach.  Mirroring tends to waste more BW
by downloading unused contents.

  http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch03.en.html#proxyserverforapt

| Since mirroring whole subsection of Debian archive wastes disk space and
| network bandwidth, deployment of a local proxy server for APT is
| desirable consideration when you administer many systems on LAN. APT can
| be configure to use web (http) proxy server such as squid (see Section
| 7.5, “Other network application servers”) as described in apt.conf(5)
| and in /usr/share/doc/apt/examples/configure-index.gz. The http_proxy
| environment variable can be used to override proxy server setting in the
| /etc/apt/apt.conf file.

You may wish to learn basics of APT
  http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch03.en.html

Osamu