Re: [trivial q] how to tell installed version

On 12/27/08 20:57, Harry Putnam wrote:
Sorry to butt in here with no lurking... I just created a vmware app
with debian.. I used the small install CD so a networked install.

I expected to be installing lenny but find really old tools
installed.   Which makes me think I installed something older.

Run "apt-cache policy"

kernel is 2.6.18

That looks like Etch.

`apt-cache search emacs' shows the newest emacs to be emacs-21

I chose the fpt.urwg.indiana.edu mirror.

Which I see now from my sources list is set to `etch'

What is my best recourse to update to `lenny'?

I've only just installed the bare essentials.. would it be wise to
wipe the partition and start over?  Or better to update through
aptitude or some other tool?

Presuming you have good bandwidth, simplest is to do an in-place upgrade.

If I did start over, how would I direct the install to proceed from
the install cd to `lenny'?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

I like my women like I like my coffee - purchased at above-market
rates from eco-friendly organic farming cooperatives in Latin America.