Re: VNC problems

Tim Frink wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to run a remote session on a machine using vnc.
> So, on the remote machine I start vncserver and on my
> local machine I connect via vncviewer. The connection is
> successfully established but I just see a gray display without
> any desktop manager. My $HOME/.vnc/xstartup is:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> xsetroot -solid grey
> xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
> startkde &
>
> Any ideas what might be wrong and why I don't get a KDE session?

This works for me (on a Ubuntu machine):
#!/bin/sh

#------------------------------------
xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
x-window-manager &
xterm &

To get gnome, I usually use the following instead of the above:
#eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session`
#exec gnome-session

#exec dbus-launch --auto-syntax --exit-with-session gnome-session

YMMV.

->HS

ever having been read.