Re: VNC problems

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 05:27:01PM +0000, Tim Frink wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to run a remote session on a machine using vnc.
> So, on the remote machine I start vncserver and on my
> local machine I connect via vncviewer. The connection is
> successfully established but I just see a gray display without
> any desktop manager. My $HOME/.vnc/xstartup is:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> xsetroot -solid grey
> xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &

Note that -title has practically no effect if you run in the terminal
a shell that sets the terminal title automatically (not the default
on Debian, but many people uncomment that bit in /etc/bash.bashrc .

> startkde &

I'm not sure, but I'd try to remove the '&' from that last line. So the
startup script exists when the KDE session exits.