Re: Best File System for Cross-Platform backup

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 02:14:50PM +0100, Sjoerd Hiemstra wrote:
> ??  For a few years now, I've been able to read from and write to a USB
> medium which was HFS+ formatted with Mac's Disk Utility.

Non-journaled HFS+ filesystems are "fully" supported on linux systems,
now that there are hfsprogs ported from OS X.

But the problem is that this filesystem has problems with hardlinks, is
not very robust and finally fsck.hfsplus from hfsprogs is often unable
to repair it.

I have used quite a bit such filesystem in the last two years since the
udf kernel module (up to 2.6.22 at least) had a nasty filesystem
corruption bug, and moreover there is no fsck.udf (philips udf verifier
does not repair udf filesystems) and finally development of udftools
seems to be stopped since years.

Hoverver, since hfsplus is not that robust either, and moreover NetBSD
people seems to be developing userspace (and portable) tools to access
udf filesystems, I have recently came back to udf now that the nasty bug
in linux udf kernel module seem to be hopefully fixed.

Is there a better filesystem for DVD-sized hard disk (or lvm) non-system
partitions to be backed-up by a simple

umount /dev/$PARTITION ; growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=/dev/$PARTITION

?

Note that, in Wikipedia-theory at least, udf should be a good
Cross-Platform choice. If and when a good fsck.udf [and full rw support
under *BSD] will be available, it might truly be.