Re: Best File System for Cross-Platform backup

On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 09:42:39PM +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Thu,25.Dec.08, 19:51:52, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > 2008/12/25 Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>:
> > > Fat32 has other limitations which can create problems:
> > >
> > > - max file size of 2GB
> >
> > I think that should be 4 GB.
>
> Somehow I had the impression it was 2GB, must have been because of the
> partition limitation of Fat16.

Wikipedia states for FAT16:

Max file size
     4 GB minus 1 byte (or volume size if smaller)

Max volume size
     2 GB,
     4 GB with 64k clusters (not widely supported)

I say it is not worth bothering.  Stay below 2GB for FAT16.

If you need bigger, use FAT32.
Max file size
     4 GB minus 1 byte (or volume size if smaller)

Max volume size
     2 TB,

Best FS depends on what is the main system, size, and configuration....

Osamu