Re: post doesn't show up

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Jonathan Kaye wrote:
Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Hi,

I've tried now about 5 times to post a thread on an OCR that is
opensource a Debian package and works fantastic.
But the post does not show up.
What's up?

Hugo
Hi Hugo,
This message showed up. Did you send this last one from the same account as
the others?
Anyway I'd love to hear about the opensource OCR and I'm sure many others
would as well. Can you give us the details?

The OCR is tesseract-ocr. These steps:

1. apt-get install tesseract-ocr
2. apt-get install tesseract-eng
3. use xsane to scan a page at 300 dpi and save as .tif
4. but that will be depth 16 which tesseract can't handle so reduce the depth: convert foo.tif -depth 8 foo.x1.tif
5. run tesseract: tesseract foo.x1.tif foo -l eng
6. text will show up as foo.txt.

Works faultlessly with me: I have problems with single quotes and dashes but he recognizes all words perfectly.

I have samples too, but let's see if this can be posted.

That went OK. Let me post the samples.
This is the page I scanned with xsane:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9267859/p13x1

And this is the result:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9269769/p13

As you can see the punctuation causes trouble, but a remarkable success rate!

Well, what I just posted, I posted about 5 times yesterday and it never showed up.
Who knows what happened.
Tesseract: very good!
Nice Christmas present! Thanks!

It is possible to train tesseract too, which I have not tried yet.

Hugo