unable to burn DVD

I'm not sure when this started, I don't burn that many discs of any type..
started up braseros, to burn a DVD that was only 1.8Gb. got this error:
<SNIP>
roGrowisofs stderr: Done with: The File(s)
Block(s)    713532
BraseroGrowisofs stderr: Writing:   UDF Anchor end volume
Start Block 713812
BraseroGrowisofs stderr: Done with: UDF Anchor end volume
Block(s)    1
BraseroGrowisofs stderr: Writing:   UDF Pad end
Start Block 713813
BraseroGrowisofs stderr: Done with: UDF Pad end
Block(s)    150
BraseroGrowisofs stderr: Max brk space used 0
BraseroGrowisofs stderr: 713963 extents written (1394 MB)
BraseroGrowisofs stderr: :-[ WRITE@LBA=ae4e0h failed with
SK=0h/ASC=00h/ACQ=03h]: Input/output error
BraseroGrowisofs stderr: :-( write failed: Input/output error
BraseroGrowisofs called brasero_job_error
BraseroGrowisofs finished with an error
BraseroGrowisofs asked to stop because of an error
	error		= 1
	message	= "Unhandled error, aborting"
BraseroGrowisofs stopping
BraseroGrowisofs got killed

Session error : Unhandled error, aborting (brasero_burn_record burn.c:2369)

any clues or where to look??
I was using the command line ( tovid, using ffmpeg) and was getting the same
error, so I thought I'd try braseros..

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800