Re: Release Cycle

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 08:28:43PM +0800, Koh Choon Lin wrote:
> Dear all
>
> Anyone has an idea what is the release cycle for Debian? I understand
> six months is the standard for Ubuntu.

The operative rule for all recent releases is that each release
happens when the release manager decides that the code is ready for
release, and not a minute before.

The Biref History of Debian lists all releases and their dates. The last
release that did not have a code name from Toy Story was in Nov,
1995. The most recent named release is Etch which happened on Apr 8,
2007. This is an interval of 11.5 years, or 138 months. There have
been 8 named releases. The mean interval between releases is 138/8
months, i.e. 17.25 months per release.

With a history of eigth releases, it is beginning to be meaningful to
calculate a variance of the release interval, but I'm too lazy to do
it. ;-)

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net