Re: Parallel GZIP

The Monday 22 December 2008 17:26:17 Eugene V. Lyubimkin, you wrote :
> Nelson Castillo wrote:
> >> No, don't. I'm just wondering why. Actually I did a test in the same
> >> order (bzip2 and the pbzip2) on a tar of my picture directory and on a
> >> video. I just don't understand why my 2 runs aren't much quicker with
> >> pbzip2.
> >
> > Your test data is already compressed :-) You will not be able to
> > compress it much more.
>
> But is this really reason to take twice CPU time with no significant reduce
> of time? Though maybe it's just peculiarity of pbzip2 implementation.

That's my concern indeed. I don't understand why using twice more calculations
the time is the same or bigger.

I've just tested a comparison on kernel directory and it gives :

17:24 robotux@simplet ~% time bzip2 kernel.tar
bzip2 kernel.tar  152,65s user 1,56s system 94% cpu 2:42,67 total
17:27 robotux@simplet ~% time pbzip2 kernel2.tar
pbzip2 kernel2.tar  142,18s user 1,78s system 181% cpu 1:19,17 total

I think pbzip2 in unstable doesn't like my core 2 duo

Regards,

Thomas Preud'homme

--
Why debian : http://www.debian.org/intro/why_debian