Re: Automatically Update/Upgrade

On 12/21/08 21:30, Zaki Akhmad wrote:

Dear all

I have some computers running Debian. It's more than 3. And it's

4?  Or 40000?

consume my time, if I have to run

# apt-get update
then
# apt-get upgrade

manually, if there's new patch/update. Is it possible that I run this
on command with script? Cron maybe? What' the ideal interval? How do I
write the script? Any example?

cron-apt. But tell it to only update and "--download-only upgrade", because a "real" upgrade might do something that you don't want it to do, like delete important packages, or not download needed packages.

I download nightly, but update weekly. With downloads happening automatically in the middle of the night, upgrading one machine per day shouldn't burden you too much.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

I like my women like I like my coffee - purchased at above-market
rates from eco-friendly organic farming cooperatives in Latin America.