Re: Canon A520 not detected in Testing, but works in Unstable

H.S. wrote:
> Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
>

>> I've seen weird output like this is devices in which there are no
>> partitions, you mount the whole device: mount /dev/sdb /mnt/camera.
>> Worth giving a try.
>>

> I will give it a shot.
>
> I have a 1G memory stick lying around. If I insert that in my card
> reader with the Testing machine, it doesn't mount and gives some errors
> like these:
> Dec 21 15:31:25 bijli kernel: [ 5784.072103] usb 2-1: device descriptor
> read/64, error -110
> Dec 21 15:31:40 bijli kernel: [ 5799.288080] usb 2-1: device descriptor
> read/64, error -110
>

> However, that same stick mounts properly in a machine running Unstable
> and in a different card reader. So looks like it is some kind of a
> hardware problem. But the confounding thing is that an SD card does not

Well, part of the problem was hardware related. Apparently the card
reader has been sitting around for quite a while on my desk and is
connected through a USB extension cable. Reinsert all the plugs and
joints seemed to have given me some progress.

The camera is being detected now. I see a camera icon on the desktop
with label "USB Imaging Interface". I started doing all this to fix this
label. My idea was to check what is the volume label on the card in the
camera and to give a specific one to see if it helps the label I get on
the desktop.

Mounting the 1G memory stick from the card reader is taking a while
though. And it is still ending up with the weird errors:
Dec 21 15:44:03 bijli kernel: [ 6541.920046] usb 2-1: device descriptor
read/64, error -110
Dec 21 15:44:18 bijli kernel: [ 6557.136116] usb 2-1: device descriptor
read/64, error -110

But this same memory stick is working in another card reader I just
fished out from my desk. So as far as memory stick is concerned, I think
it is the MS slot on the card reader that is the problem.

I also tried the SD card in the new card reader and the partition table
still shows four partition I pasted earlier.

I think I will just try reformatting the cards and see how that works out.

ever having been read.