Re: Instructions for upgrading from Etch to Lenny?

On 2008-12-19 01:25 +0100, Rick Thomas wrote:

> I didn't encounter any problems with X.org stuff.  It deleted a few
> things that don't seem to have any counterparts in Lenny -
> specifically "libsasl2", "libssp0", and "libvte4".  I guess that's
> normal?

Yes, removing obsolete packages is fine.

> It also deleted "synaptic", "update-manager", and "update-notifier".
> Which seems odd.  I don't use (or like) synaptic (I prefer aptitude,
> usually in cli mode) so I'm not worried by it as long as they aren't
> necessary for the correct functioning of the system.

This happened because the etch versions of these packages are not
compatible with the new apt, and apt or aptitude seems to be too dumb to
see that these packages should be upgraded rather than removed when you
type "aptitude install aptitude".  See http://bugs.debian.org/bug=502284.

Sven