Re: Instructions for upgrading from Etch to Lenny?

Thanks! for all the very helpful replies.

On Dec 17, 2008, at 2:45 PM, Sven Joachim wrote:

On 2008-12-17 20:14 +0100, Robert Hodgins wrote:

On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 13:57 -0500, Rick Thomas wrote:

Are there step-by-step instructions somewhere for doing a dist-
upgrade from Etch (current stable) to Lenny (soon-to-be stable)?

I'll be glad to RTFM if somebody can point me to the right FM...

Googling etch lenny upgrade gives ~143,000 hits.

It's not unlikely that Rick actually looked at some of these, and
probably a bad sign that nothing even close to an official upgrade guide
seems to exist yet. :-(

That about sums it up.

This one is recent:
http://www.ducea.com/2008/12/08/howto-upgrade-from-debian-etch-to- lenny/

I followed that and got an acceptable result.

Seems to be okay, if terse.  One caveat, though: it has been reported
several times (and I could reproduce it) that the "aptitude full- upgrade"
step will remove all the X.Org video drivers if you accept aptitude's
first suggestion, see http://bugs.debian.org/502285 for instance.
Therefore I recommend to let aptitude try different solutions until it
finds one that does not remove too many packages.

Sven

I tried it on one of my "throw-away" test systems.

I didn't encounter any problems with X.org stuff. It deleted a few things that don't seem to have any counterparts in Lenny - specifically "libsasl2", "libssp0", and "libvte4". I guess that's normal?

It also deleted "synaptic", "update-manager", and "update-notifier". Which seems odd. I don't use (or like) synaptic (I prefer aptitude, usually in cli mode) so I'm not worried by it as long as they aren't necessary for the correct functioning of the system.

Anyway... That's my experience.

Next -- I'll try it on a production system (after a full backup!)

Rick