Re: xserver-xorg under lenny

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 05:22, steef <debian.linux@home.nl> wrote:

> hi list,
>
> how do i get the magical xserver-xorg installed under lenny on a sata-disk
> so far that i can put my screen-resolution from 800x600 into 1024x768,

The xserver-xorg package must be installed already, or you wouldn't
have a GUI at all. Sata has nothing to do with the xserver

> /var/log tells me the nv driver (nvidia-chip) was correctly installed.
> installing the newest nvidia-driver from their site succeeded although this
> driver was compiled with gcc 4.1.x and lenny uses standard the 4.3.x
> compiler nowadays. yet only a black screen.

Please post your xorg.conf file and /var/log/Xorg.0.log

> xrandr was/is of no help either: highest pixels stay on 800x600
>
> the funny thing is that another (this) hd (ATA) in the same machine with the
> the same nvidia-driver(s) from their site makes a screen resolution of
> 1024x768 without any trouble possible.

Do you mean you have another install of Debian on this machine?
If so, please post its xorg.conf file and /var/log/Xorg.0.log as well.

> somebody out there with a badly needed sound advice on this?
>
> i put back the original xorg.conf file into /etc/X11 so i can continue
> working on the sata-hd. nevertheless i should love a more appropriate
> screen-resolution.
>
> i never understood the necessity of this modernistic magical behavior of
> xserver-xorg. i should love to have back the old days when dpkg-reconfigure
> xserver-xorg most times made screen-adaptions possible without problems.
> maybe an advice for the highly respected developers??

There may be some bumps on the road, but the new system is much better
in the end.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers