Re: LVM reorganization

On Thursday 18 December 2008, "M.Lewis" <cajun@cajuninc.com> wrote
about 'Re: LVM reorganization':
>Thanks Boyd. After reading through it a couple of times, it appears
>pretty straight forward.

I've done it probably a dozen times now, and it's not hard if you are
careful.  It also helps to know your way around either fuser or lsof to
find (and kill if needed) processes using the areas you are moving to
different LVs.

Shrinking the LV is probably the most dangerous part.  You don't want to
have the filesystem be bigger than it's LV at any point.  Make *sure* any
filesystem on shrunk LVs are good before you start writing data to new or
extended LVs.  That data might end up over-writing the end of the
filesystem!  Up to that point (even if you've already allocated the
extents with lvcreate or lvextend) you can roll back to your old LVM
layout with vfgcfgrestore -- I've screwed up at least twice and had to do
that.

>Seems like
>your method is probably faster without all the overhead of figuring out
>the additional packages.

I think so.  I started using LVM when I went Linux full-time on my desktop
and it's been quite useful.  I've completely swapped out the disks backing
the VG at least once, and I had full use of the system during the pvmove.
LVM just makes dealing with storage better.  ZFS is supposed to be even
nicer, but I'm not entirely convinced and have not tried it myself.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03@volumehost.net                      ((_/)o o(\_))