Re: OT Internet Radio Reception Program

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 12:38:20PM -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> I ordered an Aluratek AIRJ01F as a Christmas present for a grandson who
> sticks with Windows XP.  My understanding is that this device when
> plugged in to a usb port automaticly loads a program which provides
> access to 13,000 internet radio stations with scan options to find
> various types of music.
>
> Curious, I have tried google and apt-cache searches for something
> similar for linux without locating any matches.  Of course mplayer
> and similar packages allow me to connect to streams from stations I know
> so the difference is only the problem of identifying 13,000 posible
> streams and some information about their characteristics.  Someone must
> have done a lot of work?

You probably want something that uses a service such as shoutcast or
live365. Streamtuner supports several such services, and
"apt-cache search shoutcast" gives several other candidates.

HTH

dt

--
Dave Thayer           | Whenever you read a good book, it's like the
Denver, Colorado USA  | author is right there, in the room talking to