Re: Difference between Lenny/testing?

On Monday 2008 December 15 13:24:43 Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum wrote:
>I am currently running Lenny on two laptops. I thought i had seen something
> on this list about how, with Lenny close to release, the "lenny"
> repositories are different from "testing", and if we want to keep up to
> date we should switch to "testing" in sources.list. But the docs say that
> lenny is just a symlink to "testing".

Until release, they will be the same.  As part of release, "Squeeze" will be
created as a copy of "Sid", the "stable" symlink will be change to point
to "Lenny" and the "testing" symlink will be changed to point to "Squeeze".

>Im not trying to be ultra-bleeding-edge, but im willing to trade some
> stability for newer packages. I thought thats what i was doing with
> "lenny". Should i switch to "testing" in sources.list, or am i confused?

You probably should switch Squeeze, about a month or two after the release of
Lenny.  Unstable and testing can go through quite a bit of churn just after
release, so It might have too many bugs during that time for you.  Or, you
can just stick with testing the whole way -- it's protections are not relaxed
during the post-release period, although they are stepped up during the
pre-release freeze (now).
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03@volumehost.net                      ((_/)o o(\_))