Re: alsa and default sound input/output

On Sun, 2008-12-14 at 11:05 +0100, Emanoil Kotsev wrote:

> subscriptions wrote:
>

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am using Skype and my webcam has an in-build microphone.
> >
> > Is it possible that after hot-plugging the webcam, the default
> > microphone (input) is from the webcam? But at the same time the
> default
> > sound output is still to the on-board sound-card (i.e. laptop
> speakers)?
> >
> > At the moment I have to change the settings in Skype manually.
> >
> > I tried to look into /etc/asound.conf but I could not find proper
> > documentation how to configure it. (Is it actually the correct place
> > look?)
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Rob de Graaf
>
> I read somewhere that skype takes the first or the default device. I
> also
> did not make it to use the mic in the webcam from skype :-(
> I tried numbering the devices in the module list, but this also did
> not help
> in my case and I have to admit that I was not that persistent to solve
> it ;-) or may be it is working but I don know how to check it, because
> there is a built-in mic in my notebook and it is using the same
> chanel.
>
> cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound
> alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
> alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
> alias snd-card-2 hsfhda
> alias snd-card-3 snd-virmidi
> options snd           cards_limit=6
> options snd-hda-intel model=ref index=0
> options snd-usb-audio index=1,2 vid=0x0471,0x2040 pid=0x0332,0x6500
> options hsfhda        index=3
> options snd-virmidi   index=4 midi_devs=2
>
> So here I assign index 1 and 2 to the usb-audio driver, because I have
> webcam and tv card with use-audio
>
> regards

Thank for the reply.

I found out that /etc/asound.conf is *the place* to look.

Apparently it is possible to talk to soundcards by some id:

# more /proc/asound/cards
 0 [I82801DBICH4   ]: ICH4 - Intel 82801DB-ICH4
                      Intel 82801DB-ICH4 with STAC9750,51 at irq 7

Gives e.g. an entry in /etc/asound.conf :

pcm.!default {
    type hw
    card "I82801DBICH4"
}

For the moment, I configured dmix into asound.conf, and it appears that
dsnoop is the equivalent for sound routing the other direction.

More to come ...

Best,

Rob