Re: alsa and default sound input/output

subscriptions wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am using Skype and my webcam has an in-build microphone.
>
> Is it possible that after hot-plugging the webcam, the default
> microphone (input) is from the webcam? But at the same time the default
> sound output is still to the on-board sound-card (i.e. laptop speakers)?
>
> At the moment I have to change the settings in Skype manually.
>
> I tried to look into /etc/asound.conf but I could not find proper
> documentation how to configure it. (Is it actually the correct place to
> look?)
>
> Best,
>
> Rob de Graaf

I read somewhere that skype takes the first or the default device. I also
did not make it to use the mic in the webcam from skype :-(
I tried numbering the devices in the module list, but this also did not help
in my case and I have to admit that I was not that persistent to solve
it ;-) or may be it is working but I don know how to check it, because
there is a built-in mic in my notebook and it is using the same chanel.

cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
alias snd-card-2 hsfhda
alias snd-card-3 snd-virmidi
options snd           cards_limit=6
options snd-hda-intel model=ref index=0
options snd-usb-audio index=1,2 vid=0x0471,0x2040 pid=0x0332,0x6500
options hsfhda        index=3
options snd-virmidi   index=4 midi_devs=2

So here I assign index 1 and 2 to the usb-audio driver, because I have
webcam and tv card with use-audio

regards