Re: shortcuts sought for mutt

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 05:20:50PM +0100, Bernard wrote:
Hi to Everyone,

On my old laptop which ran on RedHat 7.2, I had installed "mutt". It has been about 2 years since I have not used this. I remember that I had spent quite a bit of time getting mutt to work, fiddling around with the .muttrc conf file. Now, I would like to use "mutt" on my desktop under Debian Sarge. I found that Mutt is part of the package that I installed 2 years ago, still it does not work 'out of the box'. It does retrieve mail though, using the command :

mutt -f pop://myaccount@pop.myprovider.fr

but I can't send any mail. If I try to, the system sends a mail saying "mailing to remote domains not supported".

So, I checked the old .muttrc file that I had on my old laptop, to find the line below :

"
set sendmail="/usr/local/bin/esmtp -X /tmp/esmtp.log"
"

esmtp is available as a package in Debian. Similar to it are nullmailer ssmtp and maybe others. Like any package that claims to be an MTA, it provides the standard /usr/sbin/sendmail command, and hence this is
one thing you need not configure.

Maybe a local spooling mailer such as exim or postfix would be better.

Problem is that I can't think of inserting such line into the .muttrc file on my desktop on Debian Sarge, since esmtp does not exist in here.

Actually esmtp was introduced in Sarge:

 http://archive.debian.net/esmtp

But then again, if you're using Sage, this is now a good time to upgrade
(to Etch or maybe even Lenny).

I am willing to install esmtp on my Sarge system. However, I am worried about the fact that I already have exim4 installed, and, even though I don't know how to configure 'mutt' to work with exim, I fear that installing 'esmtp' might interfer with the software that I have so far been using on that system for mail : mozilla-thunderbird. I want both Thunderbird and Mutt to work on my system, as I had, in the older RedHat 7.2 system, both Mutt and the StarOffice 5.2 mail systems working together.

Thanks in advance for your advice concerning exim and esmtp working on the same system, the latter one with Mutt and the former one with Thunderbird.

As far as upgrading my Sarge system to Etch or Lenny, I have to think it over. On my old laptop (thinkpad 600), that used to run under RedHat 7.2, I have installed Etch, and it works allright, even though it runs much slower that under RH7.2 and the sleep and economy modes and fan are not managed properly. On my Desktop with Sarge, I already had an unwanted upgrade about 8-9 months ago : willing to type '#apt-get update", I had carelessly typed "#apt-get upgrade". It took several hours until I could do anything. Then, quite a few thing no longer worked, and I had to upgrade things one by one, each upgrade requiring a lot of time, since this implied upgrading quite a few dependances for each program. I would say that it took more than twelve hours altogether. In the end, lots of things did not work properly. So, a distant friend advised me to install a new kernel, so, I now have 2.6.20 running on my system. Nevertheless, it still is a "sarge" system. No doubt that I could reformat everything and install a clean Debian Etch system as I did on my old laptop, but then I would have to reinstall a lot of other things including databases et coetera, which takes more time than I can consider spending right now. So, I will consider upgrading later on, since everything seems to work fine for the time being.