shortcuts sought for mutt

Hi to Everyone,

On my old laptop which ran on RedHat 7.2, I had installed "mutt". It has been about 2 years since I have not used this. I remember that I had spent quite a bit of time getting mutt to work, fiddling around with the .muttrc conf file. Now, I would like to use "mutt" on my desktop under Debian Sarge. I found that Mutt is part of the package that I installed 2 years ago, still it does not work 'out of the box'. It does retrieve mail though, using the command :

mutt -f pop://myaccount@pop.myprovider.fr

but I can't send any mail. If I try to, the system sends a mail saying "mailing to remote domains not supported".

So, I checked the old .muttrc file that I had on my old laptop, to find the line below :

"
set sendmail="/usr/local/bin/esmtp -X /tmp/esmtp.log"
"

Problem is that I can't think of inserting such line into the .muttrc file on my desktop on Debian Sarge, since esmtp does not exist in here. A few trials using

set sendmail="/sbin/smtp"

gave same result as above

Thanks in advance for a few hints that would get me going with mutt without having having to spend a lot of time :)