Re: cupsys installation

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 09:45:57AM -0500, Tom Allison wrote:
> Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> >On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 01:11:56PM -0500, Tom Allison wrote:
> >>Is there any way to install cups without introducing any of the X11
> >>libraries?
> >>
> >>I am trying to set this up on a headless box that doesn't have the
> >>resources available for needlessly running X11.
> >
> >If you have a resource-limited box, you probably don't want to run CUPS.
> >What is it you're trying to do.  CUPS is only one of a few print spooler
> >systems available.
>
> It's not a limited box.  But I have no need to have my RAM and CPU
> invested in running X when it will never be used.
>
> I've tried installing cups over the last two days and it's turning into
> a real cluster of a mess.  I think somewhere I was even able to convince
> aptitude that it didn't really need to install dependencies - I was
> messing around with apt.conf for a while.  After restoring apt.conf it
> was still giving me grief.
>
> The last problem I had was that I could identify a printer, but when I
> selected the PPD file to add the printer, everything would just hang
> with no mention of errors or issues in debug mode.

My question was really, why are you bothering with CUPS?  Personally, I
use lpr and aps-filter.  I've also used LPRng.  I once used LPRng with
foomatic-printfilters.  foomatic- uses cupsys but it doesn't use CUPS as
a spooler but you do get the enhanced features from the gs-esp stuff.
You just have to ensure that you tell foomatic what your default print
spooler system is, otherwise it complains that it can't find CUPS.

Doug.