Re: cupsys installation

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 01:11:56PM -0500, Tom Allison wrote:
Is there any way to install cups without introducing any of the X11 libraries?

I am trying to set this up on a headless box that doesn't have the resources available for needlessly running X11.

If you have a resource-limited box, you probably don't want to run CUPS.
What is it you're trying to do.  CUPS is only one of a few print spooler
systems available.
Doug.

It's not a limited box. But I have no need to have my RAM and CPU invested in running X when it will never be used.

I've tried installing cups over the last two days and it's turning into a real cluster of a mess. I think somewhere I was even able to convince aptitude that it didn't really need to install dependencies - I was messing around with apt.conf for a while. After restoring apt.conf it was still giving me grief.

The last problem I had was that I could identify a printer, but when I selected the PPD file to add the printer, everything would just hang with no mention of errors or issues in debug mode.