Re: OT: laptop recomendations

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 00:37:04 +0100
Bernard <bdebreil@teaser.fr> wrote:

> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
> >2008/12/11 Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il>:
> >

> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>Sorry for being a bit off topic but it's time for a new laptop that will run
> >>linux solely and I'm looking for recomendation on what has a good build
> >>quallity (will travel), descent battery life, although more important is
> >>good computing power and a good screen at 15.4" (needs to be workable with
> >>the screen) at a price range of around 1500$ rough ballpark. Good service
> >>is a must since it's a working laptop.
> >>
> >>I know that hp and compaq are a big no no (build quality is shaky at
> >>best).  I also have the worst experience possible with Sony support on just
> >>about every continent (haven't managed to run into worse).  Lenovo 3000
> >>series also has a bad track run at our uni in terms of build quallity, no
> >>experience with the ideapad pad heard that they are not much brighter.
> >>
> >>Currently the best candidates are the lenovo thinkpad series (either stick
> >>with the older and probed t61 or go with the t500 or similar), mac (not
> >>sure about the one button issue although the design is nice).
> >>
> >>Runner up is Dell, although the hardware seems a bit cheap when looking at
> >>the drivers (especially the touchpad which tends to be alps which isn't up
> >>to par with the synaptic).
> >>
> >>Toshiba local dealers didn't prove themselves with a friends laptop.
> >>
> >>Can't find anyone with experience with lg and fujitsu.
> >>
> >>Will be happy for feedback/experience/hardware trouble/Service experience in
> >>case of mulfunciton etc.
> >>
> >>Thanks
> >>

> >I've got a Dell Inspiron E1505 / 6400 2.0 gHz Duo Core laptop with 2GB
> >of RAM that I've been lugging on my back since January 2007. 15.4"
> >1680x1050 screen, works great with Compiz, wifi, bluetooth. Terrific
> >keyboard too. At the time it was about $1200 but it should be less
> >now. My only regret is the 80 GB hard drive, which is too small. Be
> >sure that you get a 7200 RPM hard drive no matter what size you buy.
> >

> I have read this thread with much interest, since I am planning to
> purchase a new laptop. My old IBM Thinkpad 600 is too old (about 8 years
> old). I might have bought a Lenovo Thinkpad T61, but they are awfully
> expensive here : in the range 1800 to 2400 Euros, while DELL is much
> cheaper (380 Euros for a DELL Inspiron 1525, which is 4-5 times
> cheaper). The Inspiron 1505 no longer exists, as they write on their
> website, pointing out that the new 1525 is better and cheaper.
>
> Does anyone know about that DELL Inspiron 1525 ?   It is being sold with
> Ubuntu v8.04 installed, but I plan to install Debian Etch instead, maybe
> even Lenny. Its default characteristics are as follow :

It's a bit of apples and oranges. The dell inspiron is a home laptop, which
should be compared (somewhat) to the r series if you go for the proper thinkpad
line or the lenovo 3000 which at least in our uni, they recomend the staff to
avoid since people have had a lot of problems with.

The t61 is more comparable to the latitude line (business) and vostro (small
business, cheaper but a bit heavier)

In general Dells are cheaper though, but they also give you less.

> - Intel Celeron processor 560 (2.13 GHz, 533 MHz FSB
> - 1 MB L2 cache

Thats borderline for a new computer

> - screen WXGA 15.4" (1280x800)

Thats the low end screens. If there is an option for 1440xwhatever or 1680x1050
I would go for it as those are better screens

> - HD 120 GB 5400 rpm
> - battery 6 cells (I suppose it is a Li-ion, but it is not specified)
>
> There is an extra charge of 85 Euros if you want a HD 160 GB that spins
> at 7200 rpm ;
> an extra charge of 240 Euros for a processor Intel Core 2 duo TB100 ;
> and an extra charge of 300 Euros for Intel Core 2 duo TB300

What are you planning to use the laptop for? For office and network it's ok, if
you want a little more I would go with the core 2, although I don't know these
models.

> I might request the HD that spins at 7200 rpm since it is being said
> that it is safer in case of fall.

Don't know about safer in case of a fall, it's not due to the 7200rpm, could be
a harddisk feature. My current t61 thinkpad has accelerometers that park the
drive (software daemon) in case of a fall or a hit. Depends on drive support
for parking the heads though

> Thank in advance for your any advice or recommandation.

I would go with the vosotro line if you want to save money and stick with
dell. The inspiron is similar to all other home lines which are cheap in all
respects, not just the money.

I like the t61 but it's old now. the t500 are out, but the reviews are mixed,
apparently the keyboard has been replaced with a cheaper one. They are not
cheap of course, but you abuse your laptop it will probably pay off.

A friend of mine has the vosotro 1440 I think (I believe it has been replaced
also with a newer model) and he is rather happy with it.

Another one is willing to kill anyone who considers anything other than macs.