Re: problem with SATA disk, difference between standard kernel and Debian kernel

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 08:06:12PM -0600, lee wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 07:54:58AM +1100, Alex Samad wrote:
> >
> > well it seems atleast the drives are okay, maybe a faulty cable ?  Just
> > seems strange that the debian patches would make a difference (but I
> > could be wrong), especially with stock standard stuff
>
> Unfortunately, that the selftests don't find something doesn't mean
> that the drive is ok. It's rather unlikely that it is a cable problem
> because I'm using different cables now.
bugger

> The disk got lost again over night. I've made another kernel from the
> Debian sources and will see what happens. --- I'd say it usually
> happens when the computer is idle; I can put some load on the disks
> like compiling kernels while the RAID is being rebuild, and everything
> works just fine. Someone suggested to make a ctrontab entry to write
> something on the disks like every hour, that's something else I can
> try.
>
> One option I haven't tried yet is to plug both SATA disks into the
> same channel (i. e. use adjacent plugs). I didn't do that because they
> might be blocking each other --- this isn't SCSI :( It shouldn't make
> a difference, but then, who knows? Maybe both disks go offline if I do
> that ...
maybe its a port (on the mother board)

The other thought that came to mind, maybe be a bit far fetch, is the
drive going into powersaving mode ?

what shows up in dmesg when the drive dies, do you see any sata resets
or ???