cannot execute grub

Hi,

is grub executable on i386 only, or does it requre 32bit support in
the kernel? I turned the 32bit support in the kernel off because I
didn't use it, tried out some powermanagement options and now made
another kernel with different options, but I can't set it up:

cat:/boot# grub
bash: /usr/sbin/grub: cannot execute binary file
cat:/boot#

Hmmm ...:

cat:/boot# file /usr/sbin/grub
/usr/sbin/grub: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, for GNU/Linux 2.6.8, stripped
cat:/boot#

Removing and reinstalling grub doesn't make a difference, but
update-grub seems to work (I never used that before). What kind of
magic is that?

--
"Don't let them, daddy. Don't let the stars run down."
http://adin.dyndns.org/adin/TheLastQ.htm