Re: How do I make my normal account (not root) have administrative (root) privileges?

On 12/10/08 15:46, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
On Wednesday 2008 December 10 14:12:04 Kelly Clowers wrote:
On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 07:34, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
<bss03@volumehost.net> wrote:
On Tuesday 2008 December 09 21:48:26 Brendan West wrote:
I am using gnome.
I'll assume you are using gdm then.

Anyway, I don't use Gnome, but ISTR that the configuration for gdm is
available as a configuration application called "Login Window" or similar.
You'll need to enable (or un-disable) root login.  By default, gdm does
not allow root to login to X.
It may be possible to change the config to allow root GUI logins,
but I would strongly recommended against it.

I agree. The OP seems quite interested in the possibility though. Even if they doesn't necessarily want to log in as "root" they want all the privileges at all times -- which is really just as bad.

But it's the Windows Way. My wife/kids all have separate accounts on our Windows box, and none of them have Administrator priv. I wouldn't give it do them even if they beg. If they want a new app installed, I (after doing due diligence...) gladly install it from the Admin account, and let them log back in. IE, Lookout & MSO icons have been deleted and they use FF, Tbird and OOo as much as possible, which is 99.99% of the time.

"Other" family members think I'm crazy, but that machine hasn't had to be reinstalled or been infected in the 3 years we've had it.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

How does being physically handicapped make me Differently-Abled?
What different abilities do I have?