Re: Freeze SO Linux, it's possible?

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 12:10:04PM -0500, Gregory Seidman wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 05:51:02PM +0100, Carlos Carrero Gutierrez wrote:
> > Hi, i would like to freeze my linux in order to freeze the OS, then,
> > when I reboot the computer all changes that i made in the computer
> > dissapears and it returns to the previous OS freezed.
> >
> > In windows there is something similar, called "Deep Freeze" (it's
> > freeware).
> >
> > Somebody could help me?
> >
> > Thank you very much, I appreciate your help.
>
> The closest thing I know of is LVM snapshots, but you need any relevant
> partitions (including, presumably, the root partition) to be LVM
> partitions. You should probably investigate LVM to evaluate whether this is
> what you want.

We use systemimager (http://systemimager.org/) at work for
installations/upgrades. From memory, you can probably have it
automatically reinstall at every boot (it boots from the network and
pulls a disk image down over rsync from a server).

--
Benjamin M. A'Lee || mail: bma@subvert.org.uk
web: http://subvert.org.uk/~bma/ || gpg: 0xBB6D2FA0