Re: Confusion about legality of Linux

* Sam Kuper <sam.kuper@uclmail.net> [2008 Dec 10 05:52 -0600]:
> 2008/12/10 Tom Ashley <tomashleyjr@gmail.com>
>
> > This link was recently posted to the Ubuntu Users list and I thought you
> > might find it worth reading.
> >
> > http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2008/12/linux-stop-holding-our-kids-back.html
> >

> "After confiscating the disks I called a confrence with the student and that
> is how I came to discover you and your organization ... I cannot either
> support your efforts or allow them to happen in my classroom ... putting
> linux on these machines is holding our kids back ..."
>
> Bloody hell, that's a teacher who ought to be disciplined for libel, and
> maybe also for theft (since the physical disks were the student's property
> and were not hers to take unless she was freely offered them).

No doubt, the teacher in question was misinformed, but, she does have
the right to do what she needs to do to quell a disturbance and restore
order in her classroom.  After she is informed on the matter and
understands that the disks are not illegal, contrary to her initial
claims, she should return the disks to Aaron.  She also has the right
and obligation to enforce rules of conduct in her classroom and if that
involves no use of laptops except for school work, then so be it.

I do hope that she comes away from this experience not embarrassed and
angry, but rather with an appreciation of the path of learning that her
students would like to voluntarily take.

- Nate >>