Re: Unrestrict chown?

That would be a terrible thing to happen, that any one could appropriate your files to themselves.
The other user could copy your file if you set it through chmod properly, and therefore the problem would be solved.

--- On Tue, 12/9/08, Christopher Zimmermann <madroach@zakweb.de> wrote:
From: Christopher Zimmermann <madroach@zakweb.de>
Subject: Unrestrict chown?
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Date: Tuesday, December 9, 2008, 4:40 PM

Hi!

On my debian box using linux kernel its not possible to give away files:

madroach@machine:~% touch foo
madroach@machine:~% chown otheruser foo
chown: changing ownership of `foo': Operation not permitted

only root can change file owners. Is it possible to configure this
behaviour and allow all users to chown their own files? I read this was
possible on solaris and several other unices and wonder if it is
possible with linux.

Christopher