Re: setting default package grouping mechanism in aptitude

On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 03:29:09PM +0100, Jukka Salmi <j+debian@2008.salmi.ch> was heard to say:
> seems to do what I want.  But I'd like this to be the default package
> grouping mechanism and not to enter it every time I use aptitude.  Thus
> I tried setting
>
>     Aptitude::UI::Default-Grouping
>       { "task,status,section(subdir,passthrough),section(topdir)"; };
>
> in ~/.aptitude/config, but this doesn't seem to work: All files are
> displayed at once, apparently sorted alphabetically, and hitting `G'
> shows an empty grouping order.
>
> What am I missing?

  You need to do this:

Aptitude::UI::Default-Grouping
  "task,status,section(subdir,passthrough),section(topdir)";

  Curly braces introduce a new sub-group, so the config file fragment
you wrote is the same as this:

Aptitude::UI::Default-Grouping "";
Aptitude::UI::Default-Grouping:: "task,status,section(subdir,passthrough),section(topdir)";

> And, BTW, according to the documentation, the default for
> Aptitude::UI::Default-Grouping is
>
>     filter(missing),status,section(subdir,passthrough),section(topdir)
>
> but this is not what an initial `G' shows (see above, `filter(missing)'
> vs `task').  Any hints?

  You need to file a bug saying that the documentation didn't change
the last time that the default did.

  Daniel