Re: DPT2044W SCSI adaptor with disk installed but no /dev/sd* devices created

Arthur Marsh wrote, on 2008-12-08 19:58:

I'm still trying to get to the source of the bug that prevents me from using a DPT2044W SCSI card that uses the eata module, and have narrowed down the working and non-working Debian kernel images to between linux-image-2.6.22-3-686 version 2.6.22-6.lenny1 which works, and linux-image-2.6.23-1-686 version 2.6.23-1 which fails.

There appear to be a large number of changes between the two and I am unfamiliar with how to generate an intermediate kernel source with Debian changes and config to build and test.

Thanks all for the comments on building kernel.org source under Debian.

What I'm seeing is that I could do a git clone of a kernel.org 2.6.24 tree (once I get adsl2+ up and running and buy an extra hard disk) and build intermediate kernels (bisection), but surely there must be a way of generating intermediate *Debian* kernels to narrow down the source of the problem with running the DPT 2044W SCSI card under later kernels.

Arthur.