Re: Building kernels the Debian way (was: DPT2044W SCSI adaptor with disk installed but no /dev/sd* devices created)

Sven Joachim:

>> Create a new config file based on the old one, this will prompt for new
>> configuration settings. Read carefully every question.
>> root# make oldconfig
>
> Finally, some good advice.  But before this step, you need to copy your
> old config to linux-2.6.22.1/.config and cd to the kernel directory.

The copy should be unnecessary as long as the current config is
available from /proc/config.gz.

Either way, I suggest to go through the hassle to start with a minimal
configuration and only enable those options you need now (or which you
think you may need later). This has two main benefits: kernel compile
time drops *significantly* and you don't need to mess with initrds.

J.
--
I have never been happier than I am now; a fact which depresses me
immensely.