Re: Locale testing

2008/12/6 Kelly Clowers <kelly.clowers@gmail.com>:
> On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 05:52, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am having a hard time configuring my locale. Is there an application
>> that will display a date, a currency value, a time, a large integer, a
>> negative number, and some other locale-related data such that I can
>> see how my system is configured?
>>
>> Specifically, I want Open Office 3 and Thunderbird 2 to use the
>> yyyy-mm-dd date format but I cannot seem to configure this. I am using
>> the KDE 3.x desktop. Thanks.
>
> I use the en_US.UTF-8 locale overall, with the yyyy-mm-dd date format.
> I do this with the /etc/environment file with these contents:
>
> LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_TIME="en_DK.UTF-8"
>
> en_DK means English in Denmark, which is a fake locale made for
> the ISO date format.
>
> I don't know if OO.o 3 and Thunderbird will pick this up (it is mainly
> for CLI and system utilities).

Thanks. I do know how to set the locales, but I want to see an app
that shows that they are set correctly. Therefore I could conclude
that Open Office is ignoring a correctly set locale and I could file
an issue.

If you'd like to help me, seeing as you are using the ISO date format,
then please enter the date 2008-08-10 into a cell in calc, leave the
cell, then return. Now press F2 to edit the cell. What date format
have you in the edit bar? See attached screenshot for the mess that
OOo is giving me.

By the way, I do know about en_DK, in fact I think that I discovered
it myself while experimenting:
hardy2@hardy2-laptop:~$ cat .bin/thunderbird
#!/bin/bash
export LC_ALL="";export LC_TIME="en_DK.utf8";/usr/bin/thunderbird "$@"

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-ح-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه‍-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-Р-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü