Re: software raid 1: how to remove a UUID from a device?

On Friday 05 December 2008, lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote about 'Re:
software raid 1: how to remove a UUID from a device?':

>> > cat:/home/lee# mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/sdb
>> > mdadm: Couldn't open /dev/sdb for write - not zeroing
>> >

>> > It's the same for sda. Do I need to stop all md devices involving
>> > these disks to remove the UUID? If so, how do you do it when it's not
>> > possible to stop them while the system is running (other than booting
>> > from CD or the like)?
>>
>> whilst booting add init=/bin/bash to the kernel options, or boot up
>> knoppix or something like it
>
>Oh. Does bash run with only the root partition mounted?

No, but there's few processes running so you can unmount most of the ones
that are mounted.  Using fuser or similar tools, you can identify the
processes that are keeping the others from being unmounted, shutdown those
processes, and unmount the disks.

I've always been able to go down to / being the only mount point with a
real filesystem attached when starting with init=/bin/bash.  If you have
to do something to the filesystem mounted on / though, you'll probably
want to boot from CD -- the initrd is somewhat limited.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03@volumehost.net                      ((_/)o o(\_))