Re: Desktop becomes unresponsive during large file access

On 12/03/08 11:54, Slim Joe wrote:
On 2008/12/2, Ron wrote:
On 12/02/08 04:36, Slim Joe wrote:

[snip]

When executing commands or programs  on large files (> 100 MB),
the system becomes unresponsive.

[snip]

I suspect this is either a scheduling problem or a module conflict.
Is there some kernel magic or option I need to disable or enable to
make this problem go away? If I remember correctly, I didn't encounter
this problem when I was using PATA drives with DMA enabled.

How much RAM do you have?  Your disk cache could be getting flushed
or RAM pushed to swap, thus requiring "stuff" to be re-read from disk.

About 900 MB (1 GB RAM with some MB's alloted to
the onboard graphics). Should be good, right?

Depends on what else you're running. Iceweasel, Icedove, GNOME, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

How does being physically handicapped make me Differently-Abled?
What different abilities do I have?