Re: No 3D acceleration for Radeon X1250 (RS690)?

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 02:32, Stephan Seitz <stse@fsing.rootsland.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 01:11:42AM -0800, Kelly Clowers wrote:
>>
>> It seems like bad policy to recommend closed drivers
>> if the open driver may work :-)
>
> Well, I'm looking for a new PCIe video card. My old card is one with NVidia
> chip (GV-N68128DH Silentpipe). Since I would prefer open drivers as well,
> which ATI card would you suggest (equal or better than my old card)?
> Normally I'm using Debian Testing, but I don't have problems using X and
> mesa from unstable.

>From http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATIRadeon :
Current status as of 09/2008:

    * Radeon 7000 - X1950: well supported in both 2D and 3D by the
free drivers (ie. Radeon driver 6.9.0 and Mesa 7.2)
    * Radeon X2000 - X4870: work in 2D, 3D support is under
development and first working 3D snapshot drivers are probably
available by the end of 2008.

The X1900 should be a good upgrade from the 6800. Unfortunately, the
X1900 is similar in price to some of the Radeon 4xxx HD series, which
would be better performing, but do not yet have good 3D though either
the Radeon driver or the RadeonHD driver.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers