Re: ALSA sound recording frustration SOLVED (to a point)

On Monday 01 December 2008 18:39, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Mon,01.Dec.08, 05:19:05, Mark Neidorff wrote:
> > Now I need to compile some kernel modules for VirtualBox so I need the
> > kernel source.  Of course, it is not listed in synaptic, so now I'm in
> > the position of rebooting between configurations that use sound and one
> > where I can use VirtualBox.
>
> Huh? What have you been looking for? The source packages are named like
> linux-source-2.6.18
>
> Regards,
> Andrei

Not for the Musix kernel that I suggested he install to get the sounds working
on Etch. The kernel headers are available for the Musix 2.6.26 realtime
kernel, but no source.

Strangely the etchnhalf kernel which has alsa driver 1.0.15, produced no
sounds, with a failure to create /dev/dsp message, although my Kubuntu Dapper
install on the same machine, which at install was using alsa driver 1.0.10,
which I then upgraded to alsa driver 1.0.15 from the alsa site, now does
produce sounds. It doesn't make sense. Both alsa drivers are the same
version, yet the one installed on Kubuntu Dapper has sounds working, but the
on that comes with the etchnhalf kernel doesn't.

I'm not complaining, as I do have the Musix kernel installed, which has the
sounds working (alsa driver 1.0.16), but it is a bit bizarre that Dapper has
sound using the alsa driver 1.0.15, but etchnhalf, using the same alsa
driver, does not have sound.

Nigel.