Re: CD/DVD devices

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 19:06:56 +0000 (UTC)
T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using Lenny,
>
> - What are the (standard) devices names and mount point names for
> CD/DVD, the Debian way?
> - Is there any tools to build fstab entries for me according to my CD/
> DVDs?
> - If not, how can I know which (device) is which for all my CD/DVDs,
> the automatically way, not try-and-error way?
>
> thanks

The device names should be /dev/[hs]d[a-z], for example /dev/hdc.
There is one idea which you may or may not call trial and error:
0. remove all external drive, USB sticks and iPods
1. get all the device names:
ls /dev |grep -E [hs]d[a-z]$
2. the first few results correspond to your hard drives, eg. if you
have two of them, their names are /dev/hda and /dev/hdb
3. The entries after those are your CD/DVD drives. Now eject them one
by one:
eject /dev/hdc
... and mark the one that will open.

--